It is incredibly sad that I deliver this news to you in the wake of another school shooting. However, I am glad to bring you this information about the future of safety practices at HPPDS.
This year, HPPDS, HP Pres and the Hillier School formed a safety team that met regularly to discuss the future of safety for our building. I am so grateful that our work together resulted in the hiring of an incredibly knowledgeable and experienced consultant, Mr. Paul Lake with Sentry One Consulting Group. Mr. Lake completed an audit of the building and current safety protocols, and provided recommendations to the safety team that are projected to be in place for the 2018-2019 school year.
Mr. Lake assured us we are at very low risk for an intruder or shooter situation, but we are still addressing this area along with enhancement of other safety preparations such as fire and weather situations. Below are highlights of the items that are underway:
- One entry point for parents, students and visitors, with all other entrances locked at all times
- Security cameras strategically placed to monitor the building and playgrounds
- A full-time School Resource Officer (a Level III Security Officer) monitoring the main entrance and security cameras
- Increased height on courtyard playground fences/gates
- Installation of security film on glass doors near the carpool entrance
- Additional ongoing safety training and support for all staff and teachers
I am grateful to be working with such a competent and thorough team to ensure we are providing the safest possible environment for our precious little ones! While Mr. Lake was complimentary of what we have already accomplished in the area of safety practices, his suggestions will bring another level of security to our building.
Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions!